We travel…a lot! And if we skipped school every travel day we wouldn’t be able to take off other days. That just doesn’t work for us. Therefore, we have “lessons” for travel days. (By the way, these lessons work great for when mama needs to call in sick too.)
For the most part my instructions are, “Play a number game and a letter/reading game.” And, “listen to such and such audio book”. (Check out our collection for Listing Time.) Golly, too easy right? But these apps are amazing and since it’s not our full curriculum, it’s just the right balance of review and sometimes even new.
For the most part I don’t need to tell the kids to play any of these games, they choose them all on their own. Or they are asking me if they can play.
As always, all affiliate links are to the things we enjoy.
We have one iPad, it’s mama’s but loaded with apps for the kids and in a nifty kid friendly case. Each Pasterie also has their own kindle fire that they revived for Christmas right before we hit the road safe in there Otter Box.
- Looney Tunes Phonics This is a app I’m glad we paid for. We opted for the PreK-3rd grade so all the kids in the family will have a change to use it. The lessons include: phonics, site words and spelling. Plus through out each lesson as a reward are snippets of the cartoon! It’s a pretty great incentive. Because we treat spelling informally still, I have Pumpkin write.
- Dragon Box This intuitive math game sure does beat trying to keep track of a ton of tiny manipulatives! Dragon Box Big Numbers & Algebra is on our list to get as well.
- Miss Preschool Kitty Math. My Cupcake loves this one! And after all what girly girl wouldn’t with its doll house approach to math. Free with Prime.
- Medieval Math Battle More fun then flashcards.
- Math Run Another great flashcard alternative. Free with Prime.
- Kids Trucks Numbers & Counting. Macaroon really likes this one and because of this app recognizes numeric digits and knows there worth.
- Kids Trucks Alphabet Games Free with Prime.
- Kids ABC Letter Trains Free with Prime.
- Minecraft Pocket Addition. See how we use Minecraft for our schooling here.
- Phonics and Reading with McGuffey. If you are a Charlotte Mason or Easy Peasy fan, this app is for You! Free with Prime.
- Peg + Cat Big Gig Free with Prime.
- Pirate Phonics Because pirates! And phonics review with a fun app is super fun.
- Scribblenauts Remix. It feels more like a video game but sneaks in spelling and reading. Some point soon I think we will give this one a try too.
- Sing along Cursive Handwriting The singing is catchy!
- Stack the States I like to play this one too! And there are more in this collection like this one here. And seriously what a fun way to work world on map skills then this one?!
- Super Why: ABC Adventure Free with Prime.
- Berenstain Bear book apps All the kids like these but Cupcake is especially fond of the stories. Free with Prime.
- Boynton book apps Cupcake is using these along with Hooked on Phonics to teach herself how to read. Free with Prime.
- Little Critter book apps Free with Prime.
- The Pedestal Great for logic.
- Third Grade Learning Games Actually this whole series is pretty great. I tell the kids to play their “owl” game. Free with Prime.
- Wonster Words: ABC, Phonics, and Spelling for kids
- Word Wow Around the World Fun way to practice spelling and work in geography too.
- Write Magic Letters
- OverDrive Pumpkin has discovered a love of books, and this app if keeping us supplied in free ones. I have the settings on his kindle to the largest font (less words per page is less overwhelming) and we use the dyslexia font that is also used in all his Fun-Schooling Journals. This app is also filling my list of mama reads and adding to our read aloud time.
- Hooked on Phonics Cupcake and Macaroon are teaching them selves to read playing with this app.
- Audible We all use this one just about daily, we are a huge fan of audio books in our family. Here is our growing list for Listing Time.
Apps on Ipad (I have no clue how to add links to these most apps, sorry.)
- Zcooly Time Ranch
- Zcooly Store
- Hooked on Phonics Big Read Show
- Hooked on Phonics K
- Hooked on Phonics 1st
- Hooked on Phonics pro
- Epic! books for kids I cannot say all the good things about this app! It has a selection of books that rivals our old home library but also includes read to me books, audio books and kid safe videos. I also have this app on my phone and being able to pull up a book to go along with what we happen to be seeing while we are out and about it amazing and much more child friendly then google.
- Leaning With Homer (also for computer) Not just an app but also includes free pintables. This is a must have for my kids and includes so much fun learning! And I have to admit to love the Folk Song section just as much as the kids.
Again, we don’t do all these apps every day or every week. Most days are our normal Slow Loop days full of Symposium and Fun-Schooling and other Hands on Learning, but on days that we are “long in the saddle” or “I just can’t” these make sure we get our hours in.